POUGHKEEPSIE, New York – Niagara took the lead from the start and would not let go as the Red Foxes battled back but would ultimately fall short, 68-61, Saturday evening at McCann Arena.
The Red Foxes finish the regular season 18-12 overall and 14-4 in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play. Niagara earns its second consecutive road win at McCann and finishes the season 12-17 overall and 9-9 in league play.
“We have to play better and handle the ball better,” Head coach Brian Giorgis said. “Tough way to finish the regular season but we are 17-5 in 22 games this year and it’s important not to forget that.”
On this Senior Night, the Red Foxes honored Kendall Baab and team manager Jakina McCaulla with a special ceremony prior to tip off. Baab has appeared in 100 games for the Red Foxes throughout her career.
• The first quarter was all Niagara as they jumped out to an early lead. The Purple Eagles ended the quarter with a 7-0 run giving them a 21-14 lead over Marist.
• Niagara continued to hit on all cylinders to start the second, going on an 11-0 run making it a 32-19 game with six minutes left in the half.
• Marist battled back to cut the lead down to eight. The Foxes trailed 36-28 at half.
• The Red Foxes went ice cold in the beginning of the fourth going on a three-minute scoring drought. Niagara was able to use that time to jump out to a nine-point lead during that stretch.
• Despite a late surge from Marist, the Red Foxes were never able to overcome the early deficit, falling 68-61.
• Alan Gilmer led Marist with 20 points and nine rebounds.
• Marist had three players score in double digits, Gilmer (20), Rebekah Hand (16), and Willow Duffell (10).
• The Purple Eagles forced Marist into 22 turnovers behind 13 steals.
Gilmer’s 20 point game was her second consecutive and 10th of the season and career.
With the Red Foxes now locked into the #2 seed, the team’s first game will be on Friday, March 2 at 3:30 p.m. in the quarterfinal round. Should they win, the remaining schedule is as follows: Semifinal: Sunday, March 4 – 1:30 p.m. Final: Monday, March 5 – 2:30 p.m.