Recap provided by Marist Athletics
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland – Marist women’s basketball started off the season with a win, taking down Navy 72-48. The Red Foxes open up the season with a victory for the first time since 2012.
Both teams started off slow with each team only scoring a bucket over three minutes into the game. Rebekah Hand provided a spark to the offense with back-to-back threes to take a 13-7 lead at the end of the first quarter.
Marist went off in the second quarter, holding Navy to just eight points and adding 27 points to take a 40-17 lead. The Red Foxes would shoot 67 percent from the field and would land five of six three pointers. Hand alone outscored Navy in the first half, finishing with 18 points.
Grace Vander Weide hit an open three to open up the third quarter. Navy’s defense held Marist to just eight more points in the quarter but the Red Foxes were able to take a 51-34 cushion going into the fourth quarter.
A layup from Hand two and a half minutes into the last quarter gave Marist a 20 point lead. The Red Foxes held Navy to just 17 percent from the field in the fourth quarter and walked away with a 70-48 victory.
- Hand lead all scorers with 20 points and added four rebounds, two assists and a steal.
- Alana Gilmer finished with a double-double, scoring 12 points and adding 10 rebounds.
- In her first career game as a Red Fox, Sarah Barcello scored seven points, six of them coming from a pair of three’s.
- Marist got 25 points from the bench.
- The Red Foxes would outrebound Navy 52-38.
- Navy’s leading scorer Morgan Taylor had 13 points.
- Marist is now 2-2 overall against Navy.
- Head Coach Brian Giorgis improves to 5-12 overall in season openers.
Marist will welcome Boston University to McCann Arena on Friday, November 16 for its home opener. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.