Report provided by Marist Athletics
NACOGDOCHES, Texas – In its first campus game in the Basketball Hall of Fame Belfast Classic, the Marist men’s basketball team suffered a 64-60 loss at preseason Southland Conference favorite Stephen F. Austin on Tuesday night.
- Marist came out hot from three-point range, as the Red Foxes drained their first six attempts from beyond the arc.
- The Red Foxes never trailed in the first half, and led by as much as 13 (29-16 with 9:20 left in the first half).
- Marist led 39-29 at halftime.
- A three-point by freshman guard Darius Hines with 16:58 remaining gave Marist its largest lead of the game at 47-30.
- After Hines’ three-pointer, Marist did not score for the next 8:30. However, the Lumberjacks only scored eight points in that time.
- With 3:57 remaining, two free throws by senior guard Brian Parker gave Marist a 57-43 lead.
- Over the next 2:50, Stephen F. Austin went on a 15-1 run, and a three-point by Jock Hughes tied the score at 58 with 1:07 to play.
- Marist took the lead back on its next possession thanks to a driving layup by senior forward Isaiah Lamb.
- With 14 seconds to play, a three-point by Shannon Bogues gave Stephen F. Austin its first lead of the game at 61-60. The Lumberjacks then went 3-for-4 from the free-throw line to close out the game.
- Lamb led Marist with 15 points. He shot 4-for-6 from three-point range, and grabbed five rebounds.
- Senior guard David Knudsen gave Marist two double-digit scorers with 10 points.
- Senior forward Ryan Funk led Marist with six rebounds, and Hines had a team-high five assists against just two turnovers.
- Marist shot 12-for-23 (.533) from three-point range.
- The Red Foxes committed 17 turnovers, with 12 coming in the second half.
- Stephen F. Austin’s Devonte Fitzgerald led all scorers with 18 points.
- Kevon Harris and Nathan Bain tied for the game high with eight rebounds apiece for the Lumberjacks.
- Stephen F. Austin shot 6-for-19 from three-point range, but the Lumberjacks went 4-for-4 from deep in the final 2:36.
- Marist led for 38:21 of the contest.
- This was Marist’s first game against Stephen F. Austin, and first game in the state of Texas, in program history.
- This was Marist’s second game in program history against a current member of the Southland Conference, and first since December of 2007.
- Marist has shot over 50 percent from deep in each of its last two games, going 27-for-52 (.519) from three-point range.
- Stephen F. Austin is now 88-4 at home since the start of the 2012-13 season. The Lumberjacks’ winning percentage of .957 in this span is the best in Division I.
Marist is 1-3; Stephen F. Austin is 3-1.
- Marist continues play in the Basketball Hall of Fame Belfast Classic on Saturday, Nov. 24 with another campus game at #22/#25 Buffalo. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m.
- It is the final campus game the Red Foxes will play as part of the tournament before heading to Northern Ireland.