Recap provided by Marist Athletics
POUGHKEEPSIE, New York – The Marist men’s basketball team won its first game of the season on Saturday night, defeating the Columbia Lions 82-76 at McCann Arena. With the win, the Red Foxes move to 1-1 on the season, while the Lions move to 0-1 with the loss.
- Marist got out to an early 11-6 lead, after a three by Ryan Funk, heading into the first media timeout.
- Right out of the timeout, back-to-back three pointers by Brian Parkerand David Knudsen helped spark a 10-2 run that brought the Red Foxes out to a 21-9 lead.
- With 7:57 left in the first half, Randy Brumant converted a fast break dunk for Columbia, capping an 8-0 run, which lowered Marist’s lead to just 23-21.
- Nearing the end of the quarter, the Red Foxes extended their lead to 38-30, however the Lions held Marist scoreless the last 3:07 of the half and scored five consecutive points to bring the score to 38-35.
- Columbia started the second half hot, and tied the game at 45 after a jumper by Quinton Aldesh with 14:38 remaining in the game
- Marist extended its lead to 59-50 with help from an and-one by Isaiah Lamb and a dunk by Funk, but a converted and-one by Mike Smith brought the Lions to within six points with 7:52 remaining.
- Columbia would get to within six points three more times, but that was as close as they would get, as a pair of Brian Parker free throws helped ice an 82-76 win.
- Parker led the Red Foxes with 21 points and tied for the team lead in rebounds with six.
- Knudsen was 5-9 from deep, accounting for all 15 of his points in the game.
- Funk (13) and Darius Hines (11), joined Parker and Knudsen with double-figures in points
- Marist shot 51% overall and 43% from three, while Columbia shot 46% from the field and 30% from deep.
- The Red Foxes out-rebounded the Lions 39-32.
- Mike Smith led Columbia wih 23 points, eight assists, four rebounds, and three steals.
- Parker had his 24th career game with at least 20 points.
- Marist is now 6-1 all-time against Columbia.
- The Red Foxes are now 20-11 all-time against the Ivy League.
- This is Marist’s first win in a home opener since 2007-08 against Delaware.
Quote of the Day
“I’m just happy for these guys, who have part a lot of hard work since June, that they got the win on opening night at home,” said head coach John Dunne, who earned his first victory with the Red Foxes.
The Red Foxes hit the road again and will head to Lehigh on Tuesday, November 13 for a non-conference matchup. It will be the first of eight straight contests away from McCann Arena for the Red Foxes. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.