Report provided by Marist Athletics
WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut – The Marist men’s basketball team was defeated by Hartford, 65-56, in its non-conference finale on Saturday at Chase Arena.
- Hartford jumped out to a 7-2 lead at the 15:41 mark of the first half, which forced a Marist timeout.
- Marist bounced back and grabbed its largest lead at 28-21 with 3:19 left in the half on a basket by senior guard Brian Parker.
- Hartford closed the half on an 8-0 run, punctuated by 18-foot jumper by John Carroll which gave the Hawks a 29-28 halftime lead.
- Senior guard David Knudsen hit three-pointers on Marist’s first two possessions of the second half, which gave the Red Foxes a 34-29 lead. His third three of the half gave the Red Foxes’ a 43-37 lead at the 16:04 mark.
- Hartford answered Knudsen’s three with a 7-0 run to take the lead.
- With 7:56 left, a three-pointer by senior forward Ryan Funk tied the score at 53 apiece.
- After Funk’s three, Hartford answered with a 12-0 run as the Red Foxes did not score again until three seconds remained in the game.
- Parker led the Red Foxes in points (16) and assists (three), and also grabbed three rebounds. He shot 8-for-11 from the field, and was the lone Red Fox to score in double digits.
- Senior forward Isaiah Lamb led the Red Foxes with six rebounds.
- Hartford’s J.R. Lynch had game highs of 17 points and 11 rebounds, and tied for the game high with three steals. He was one of two Hawks to finish with a double-double, as George Blagojevic finished with 14 points and 10 rebounds.
- Hartford shot .500 (13-for-26) from the field and .500 (7-for-14) from three-point range in the second half.
- Marist committed 16 turnovers, while Hartford committed 14.Notes
- Marist had a season high in blocked shots (six), and tied its season high in steals (10).
- The Red Foxes attempted a season-low four free throws. They made three.
- Blagojevic shot 8-for-12 from the free-throw line. He attempted all of Hartford’s free throws.
- Hartford leads the all-time series, 4-3. The home team has won all seven contests.Records
- Marist finished its non-conference season at 5-7.
- Hartford improved to 6-8.Up Next
Marist opens Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play on Tuesday, Jan. 3 against Canisius. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. Tickets are available on GoRedFoxes.com.